3601 McDonough Street, Joliet, IL 60431

Call Us815-727-0100

McNamara Phelan McSteen, LLC

What Type of Compensation Can I Receive After a Car Accident?

 Posted on March 29, 2024 in Car Accidents

Joliet, IL car accident injury lawyerCar accidents can be serious, and when you or a loved one are injured in a car accident, you may struggle with extensive medical bills, loss of employment, and other financial troubles that mean you need to seek compensation. Pursuing a compensation claim can be complex, which is why you need an experienced Illinois car accident attorney on your side to help you with this process and advocate for you to receive the maximum amount of compensation possible.

What Your Compensation Claim May Cover

A claim for compensation after a car accident typically falls into the category of a personal injury claim. Illinois law separates the potential damages you can receive in this type of claim into two categories – economic and non-economic.

Economic damages your compensation claim may cover include tangible factors such as medical bills, loss of wages, and property damage, while non-economic damages are considered intangible and include pain and suffering, trauma or emotional distress, and loss of enjoyment of life.

Your compensation claim may cover damages for both economic and non-economic damages, and there is no cap on damages for Illinois personal injury claims that may be filed after a car accident.

How Do I Pursue a Claim for Compensation After a Car Accident?

Pursuing a claim for compensation after your car accident can be somewhat difficult, as several factors go into how your claim is filed and how much compensation you may be eligible for. In general, three main factors can determine your settlement amount:

  • Liability, meaning who is at fault in the accident

  • Severity of injuries and medical costs

  • Whether you or the responsible party have insurance coverage

To pursue your claim for compensation, you will need to gather all evidence and documentation related to your accident and speak to a skilled Illinois car accident attorney. Your attorney will look at these three main factors and the specifics of your accident, building a case and advocating for you to receive all of the compensation you need to help with your recovery and any long-term expenses. Your attorney can also work with insurance companies on your behalf, navigating the more complex parts of your compensation claim.

Contact a Joliet, IL Car Accident Attorney

When a car accident happens and results in severe injuries and long-term damages, you may find that you need compensation to cover your medical expenses and any future expenses related to your car accident. A Will County, IL car accident lawyer can help you file your car accident claim to hold the party at fault accountable and recover the compensation you need.

Our attorneys have extensive experience with personal injury and car accident cases, and he can help you navigate the claim process while advocating for your rights. Call McNamara Phelan McSteen, LLC at 815-727-0100 for a free consultation.

Share this post:
Will County Bar Association Illinois State Bar Association Lions Minooka AV 2019 Rotary DuPage County Bar Association Workers Compensation Lawyers Association
Back to Top