3601 McDonough Street, Joliet, IL 60431

Call Us815-727-0100

McNamara Phelan McSteen, LLC

What to do if Your Children Are Involved in a Car Accident

 Posted on August 09, 2023 in Personal Injury

Joliet Car Accident Injury AttorneyMany people are afraid of getting into a car accident. Many parents are more afraid of their children being in an accident than themselves. If your children were in the car with you when you were hit by a careless driver, their needs are likely your top priority, even if you were also hurt. Just as you have certain rights related to compensation, your children do as well. Children tend to spend more time on the roads during the school year as they are transported between school, extracurricular activities, and home every day. The time just before school and just after school can be dangerous merely due to the high level of traffic. Mornings in particular may pose a higher risk of accidents, as parents are often both tired and in a hurry during morning drop-off. If you are involved in a car accident with your children, it is important to speak to an attorney promptly. You will likely need to be the one to take legal action on their behalf. 

Steps to Take if Your Child is Hurt in a Car Crash

No parent wants to see their child get injured in an auto accident. Even if you are a very safe driver, you cannot account for what careless drivers around you may do. Steps to take if your children are injured in a car accident include: 

  • Seek medical care - Children may be in shock after a car accident and unable to tell you whether they are hurt. Adrenaline can prevent a child from noticing physical pain until they are able to calm down. It is best to take your child to receive urgent medical attention if they have been involved in a car accident. It is likely appropriate to call 911 if you are not sure whether your child’s injuries could be serious. 

  • Call the police - Reporting an accident when someone has been injured is mandatory. Additionally, the police are likely in the best position to investigate how the accident happened at the scene.

  • Contact an attorney - Your minor child cannot initiate legal action on their own behalf. As their parent, you will likely need to be the one to file a claim. Settling an injured child’s claim can be somewhat more complicated than settling an adults, so it is particularly important to be represented. If your child was badly injured, they may be entitled to long-term compensation. 

It is important to act quickly after a child is injured in an accident. Prompt action can make a difference to your child’s health and claim. 

Contact a Joliet Car Accident Lawyer 

McNamara Phelan McSteen, LLC is experienced in helping parents settle their child’s claim. Our skilled Joliet car accident attorneys will aggressively fight for your child. To begin with a complimentary consultation, please contact us at 815-727-0100




Share this post:
Will County Bar Association Illinois State Bar Association Lions Minooka AV 2019 Rotary DuPage County Bar Association Workers Compensation Lawyers Association
Back to Top