3601 McDonough Street, Joliet, IL 60431

Call Us815-727-0100

McNamara Phelan McSteen, LLC

How Do I Receive Workers’ Compensation for Job-Related Injuries?

 Posted on March 12, 2019 in Workers' Compensation

Will County workers' compensation lawyerAccidents happen, and if you have been injured or fallen ill at work, you may be wondering how you are going to pay all your medical bills. If you are unable to work due to your injury or work-related illness, this can compound your issues, and you are probably worried about the bills that are piling up. Fortunately, you may qualify to receive workers' compensation, but in order to receive these benefits, you must follow the proper procedures. 

What Qualifies As a Work-Related Injury or Illness

According to the Illinois Workers’ Compensation Act, workers’ compensation covers a wide range of issues affecting employees. An injury due to an accident at work is an obvious one, but some people may not realize that they may also be able to receive workers’ comp for gradual injuries, such as those caused by repetitive motions when performing job duties, a heart attack brought on by mental or physical stress at work, or worsening of a pre-existing condition due to work conditions. 

Steps to Take Advantage of Workers’ Compensation

In order to qualify for workers’ compensation, you will need to see a doctor or go to a hospital, as needed, in order to assess the situation and show that it is work-related. If it is, your employer must, by law, cover the costs of your appointments and procedures. So that you can get that coverage, you will need to inform your employer of your condition within 45 days of it happening. Your employer must report any accidents that keep you from work for multiple days.

Receiving Workers’ Comp for Missed Work

If you have to miss work due to your injury or illness, you are legally able to do so without harassment from your employer, and without danger of being fired. You are likely able to receive payments to help get you through the time that you must be out of work, depending on the circumstances. Temporary partial or total disability benefits can provide you with resources while you are recovering, and permanent disability benefits may be available if your injuries will have a long-term effect.

Filing a Personal Injury Lawsuit

Even if you do everything by the book, you still might not be compensated fairly for your injuries or work-related illness. Legal action may need to be taken in order to ensure that you are not left in the cold with missed wages and/or permanent health conditions that have made you unable to continue with your job. Unfortunately, some employers do not always follow through on their obligations, and you should not have to suffer because of their lack of understanding or willingness to provide for you in the proper way. An attorney can help you understand your options for pursuing a personal injury lawsuit in addition to a workers’ compensation claim.

Contact a Will County Workers’ Comp Attorney to See Where You Stand

The attorneys at McNamara Phelan McSteen, LLC are knowledgeable and ready to help with your work injury case. When it comes to your livelihood, it will pay to have an experienced Joliet workers’ compensation attorney on your side. Call 815-727-0100 to make an appointment for a free consultation and discuss your options.



Share this post:
Will County Bar Association Illinois State Bar Association Lions Minooka AV 2019 Rotary DuPage County Bar Association Workers Compensation Lawyers Association
Back to Top