3601 McDonough Street, Joliet, IL 60431

Call Us815-727-0100

McNamara Phelan McSteen, LLC

How Can a Personal Injury Attorney Help Me After a Hit-and-Run Crash?

 Posted on May 16, 2023 in Personal Injury

Joliet Car Crash Injury LawyerBeing the victim of a hit-and-run accident is a shocking and frightening experience to go through. A car crash is already traumatic, but when the other driver flees the scene, it can make the victim feel as if he or she has no options.

If you or somebody you care about was hurt in a hit-and-run accident, you may be able to secure financial compensation for vehicle repairs, medical expenses, and other damages – even if the other driver is never identified.

A personal injury attorney advocates on behalf of injured individuals. If you are facing medical bills and other expenses, a lawyer experienced in hit-and-run accidents can help you understand your options for seeking compensation, and fight for the maximum amount of compensation possible.

Helping You Hold the Driver Accountable

Nowadays, police have sophisticated methods of finding and prosecuting hit-and-run drivers. They may be able to evaluate vehicle debris at the crash scene, traffic camera footage, or dash camera footage to identify the driver. If the police are able to locate the hit-and-run driver, a personal injury attorney experienced in car accident cases can help you bring a claim against the driver.

In Illinois, the at-fault driver’s insurance company is typically on the hook for car accident damages. A personal injury attorney can gather evidence demonstrating your damages and represent you during negotiations with the insurance company so you have the best chance of receiving an adequate payout. Unfortunately, many hit-and-run drivers are uninsured. That is often the reason that they flee the scene.

Some hit-and-run accident victims wonder whether they can file a personal injury lawsuit directly against the at-fault driver if the driver does not have insurance. This may be possible, but the chances of a hit-and-run driver having enough financial resources to adequately cover your accident-related losses are slim. Even if you win, you may find yourself pursuing financial relief for years and years without seeing a single cent. As the old saying goes, you can’t get blood from a turnip.

Even if the driver does not have insurance or the driver cannot be located, there may still be a way to recover reimbursement for accident-related losses.

Helping to File a Claim With Your Own Insurance Company

If you have uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage (UM/UIM), you can file a claim with your own insurance company to pursue financial compensation. Although it is your own insurance company, it is still useful to have an attorney representing your best interests.

Contact our Will County Hit-and-Run Accident Lawyer

Our Will County car accident injury attorneys help injured victims seek compensation for their losses. We can evaluate your case and help you decide how best to proceed. We will fight to get you as much compensation as possible.

Call 815-727-0100 for a consultation.




Share this post:
Will County Bar Association Illinois State Bar Association Lions Minooka AV 2019 Rotary DuPage County Bar Association Workers Compensation Lawyers Association
Back to Top